From April issue 2019
Written and submitted by Bill Bryson
Consolidated Coating Company – A Historical View:
Consolidated Coating Company (CCC) started back in 1978. Founded by John Mattson, he ran the Company until 2009, when he sold it to Jeffrey Rudman, its current owner and Chief Executive. In 2009, CCC was facing many challenges and also substantial change in the industry and customer requirements. CCC’s customer base was too concentrated, and its mix of business was heavily focused on wet paint application over plastic. Powder coating was in its infancy at CCC, as were functional coatings like EMI/ESD/RFI shielding. The new Management team at CCC had to navigate a number of issues that substantially changed company operations.
Changes to Industry and Customer Requirements:
- Existing customers moved manufacturing overseas to China.
- Plastics technology improves reducing the need for paint finishing.
- Regulation of VOC emissions trends finishing towards the more environmentally friendly powder coating.
- Lean, JIT, Six Sigma initiatives executed at most large companies pressure suppliers to shorten lead times, improve quality, and cut costs.
Customer Acquisition Targets:
- Metal fabricators
Started a second shift.
This was critically important to achieving the company’s goal of not just shortening lead times, but also improving the ability to respond to special requests, while obviously providing more overall capacity.
Converted wash system from Iron Phosphate to Zinc Phosphate:
Zinc Phosphate is the preferred military pre-treatment for ferrous metals. This project provided differentiation for CCC in the marketplace. There are very few finishing shops that provide a Zinc Phosphate pre-treatment that is compliant with military specification TT-C-490 because it is difficult and costly to maintain.
Focused on operational process and procedures. Emphasized repeatability, documentation and batch traceability. Important requirements when you are targeting business segments that require certifications. CCC continuously reviews and improves all aspects of their operation, and all CCC employees contribute to this effort.
Added blasting to the list of capabilities.
CCC’s blasting cabinet provides another means to properly clean and prepare a surface for finishing. A properly blasted surface provides for the very best adhesion between substrate and paint.
Consolidated Coating Company – A Historical View:
Consolidated Coating Company is a top-tier applicator/job-shop of industrial paints and coatings for metal and plastic parts with a very diversified customer base. Operating out of Bellingham, MA, CCC services Companies within the Greater New England area.
CCC was able to effectively respond to all of the market changes identified above:
- While a great deal of manufacturing did move overseas, CCC was able to replace that business through aggressive sales and retention initiatives. What they found was that much of the finishing that moved overseas was done poorly and had to be repainted in the U.S. providing additional opportunities for the company to show the quality of their work.
- A great deal of injection molded plastic finishing did go away. In 2009, plastic finishing probably amounted to 70% of CCC’s business, today it is less than 20% as the mix of business completely flipped. At the same time, CCC was able to show steady growth.
- Much of the growth at CCC over this time period was fueled by their powder coating business which trended with market influences that favored the environmentally friendly coating technology. In 2009, powder coating probably contributed no more than 10% of CCC’s business, today it is closer to 50%.
- Obviously, lead times on finishing work vary by the complexity of the job, but in general terms, CCC turns around most jobs in 3-7 business days. With that being said, CCC is built to be completely CUSTOMER FOCUSED. If a client needs a quicker turnaround, and it is feasible, CCC will get it done. David Jacobson, CCC’s Vice President of Sales and Business Development, has called CCC “PROFESSIONAL HOOPJUMPERS” for this very reason, and that is a label the company really strives to live up to.
Consolidated Coating Company has a highly qualified and experienced staff. For those organizations or project teams that have yet to develop their finishing requirements and/or paint specifications, CCC are always available to assist clients in selecting the most appropriate coating to achieve their project objectives. CCC frequently provides research and development for their clients, assisting with testing and measurement, all the way through first article. CCC has equipment to test and measure color, gloss, thickness, and adhesion. Manufacturers have looked to CCC for their expertise and in-depth knowledge of coatings and finishing processes for different metal and plastic substrates. If you’re not sure on where to even begin, CCC is here to help – making the process as smooth and painless as possible and leaving you with a remarkable finished product.
Consolidated Coating Company also provides silk screening and pad printing services to parts, provides specialized packaging, and offers limited assembly of parts.
CCC serves the following industries:
- Metal fabricators
- Plastic fabricators
- Aerospace and aviation
- Architectural/construction steeland aluminum
- Commercial lighting and display
- Electrical equipment and enclosures
- Industrial equipment and machinery
- Medical devices and instrumentation
- Military/defense manufacturing
- Oil and gas equipment
- Sports and hobby equipment
CCC provides the following coating solutions:
Liquid and powder coatings
- Cosmetic, including auto quality Class A finishes
- Durable and corrosion resistant
Dry film lubricants
What Else is Cookin’?
More recent Initiatives undertaken in CCC’s evolution include:
- Investments in technology. CCC is in the process of implementing a new MRP system called Epicor. This system will touch every department at CCC and will give management substantially better visibility to job costs, scheduling, quality data, and overall business performance. Ultimately this data will drive future initiatives and contribute to CCC’s continuous improvement initiative
- Investments in new capabilities. CCC is about to move a brand new batch oven into production. This oven provides high-temp curing that will allow us to add the application of PTFE and other high temp coatings to our repertoire of capabilities. Additionally, this oven’s dimensions of 20’x10’x10’ substantially increase the size parts CCC is capable of powder coating, and also provides them with additional capacity for the type of work they’re already performing.
- Investments in existing capabilities. CCC is in the process of replacing the first two stages of their wash system and replacing heating elements at each heated stage. Not a sexy investment by any stretch, but CCC takes energy conservation seriously and maintains all of its equipment to the highest standards. This was a necessary and significant commitment by the company.
Your First Line of Defense?
When it comes to military coatings work, customers choose to go to CCC for a variety of reasons. First CCC has experience with most military finishing specifications. CCC can provide a pre-treatment compliant with TT-C-490, Method 1. CCC has the scale to process a high volume of parts in a timely fashion, and they have the equipment to handle large and/or heavy armor plate efficiently.
Put Consolidated Coating Company to Work For You?
Above all else, Consolidated Coating Company cares about its customers and the quality of work that they provide them with. You will recognize that from your very first interaction with anyone from the CCC office. They provide the highest level of communication throughout the life of a job from quote to delivery and every step in between.
Many customers choose to do business with Consolidated Coating Company on a continuing or repeat basis mainly due to the company’s nimble management and easy-going demeanor, and the notion (and fact) that they emphasize quality customer service over all else. If they have to jump through a series of hoops to make a customer happy, they’ll do it and wholeheartedly enjoy the challenge. And heck, CCC can pick up your raw parts and deliver you finished parts within 100 miles of their Bellingham, MA location. Put the job in CCC’s hands, and expect superior service, care, and exemplary end results – each and every time.